For a great deal of North America, this past winter was one of the mildest on record. With temperatures already rising and spring seemingly being compacted into a few weeks, you don’t have a lot of time to prepare for what may be a long summer. If you have a pool, then you know that a big and time-consuming part of spring-cleaning is getting your pool ready for the season ahead. At Jason Mills, we make industry leading formaldehyde-free polyester knit mesh for pool filtration and skimmer products. Our 100% American-made mesh is used throughout the pool and spa industry to keep debris, like leaves and bugs, from ruining a good time.
While methods differ due to region and pool type, some basics will help you successfully open your pool this season.
• Remove, clean, fold, and store winter pool cover.
• Test water balance; adjust calcium, alkalinity and pH levels
• Replace winter stored items like ladders, auto cleaner, baskets, plugs, gauges, etc.
• Inspect and test electrical service to pumps, lights, heaters, etc.
• Lube valves and o-rings. Wrap threaded plugs with new thread sealant.
• Flood lines, prime-up pump, start-up motor, and adjust valves for proper flow.
• Brush tiles and scrub skimmers with phosphate-free cleanser.
• Blow off, then hose off, your pool deck.
• Skim pool surface. Vacuum pool for waste if algae is present.
• Super chlorinate to breakpoint levels with liquid or granular chlorine.
• Brush pool walls and steps and re-check chemical levels in 12-24 hrs, adjust as needed.
• Backwash filter when pressure gauge rises 8-10 lbs, or flow diminishes considerably.
If you follow these steps and make sure that your filters and skimmers are utilizing only the best polyester mesh knit from Jason Mills, then your pool or spa should be ready in time to enjoy every minute of what should be a long and fun summer. And because it’s made in the USA, you’re having a good time and keeping jobs in America. That’s a combination you just can’t beat.